Information on Private Events or Private Classes
Do we offer drop-in lessons, walk-ins, or opportunities to just try it out?
Do we offer private events or parties?
- No, we do not take walk-ins. Lessons require staffing to be scheduled in advance, and we do not allow our equipment to be used by the general public without staff supervision.
Do we offer private events or parties?
- Yes, we do! Pricing varies somewhat according to the project, the time it takes for participants, the pre- and post- time required for staff, and the materials used. We generally suggest a time frame of about 2 hours. Here are some examples. Other ideas are possible, but this should give you some ideas.
- Sculpture project, Creature on a rock: Suitable for ages 6 through adult. Allows for some creativity and leeway for participants. Take about 2 hours. Cost: $45 per participant, minimum of 4 participants. Maximum of 6 adults or 8 children (just a matter of how many people can comfortably fit at the handbuilding tables). Participants will sculpt their choice of a critter on a (clay) rock, and we'll glaze and fire it. Pieces will be ready to take home within about 2 weeks.
- Wheel-throwing: Heads up- this is a challenging skill to pick up. Participants are not likely to complete a piece without some assistance in a single session. This can be an interesting experience as a corporate event, because unless folks come in with some previous knowledge, all participants will be challenged to some degree. Cost: $50 per participant, minimum of 4 participants, about 2 hours. Participants will be asked to help with cleanup for a few minutes at the end. The focus of a wheel-throwing event will be on the experience and trying out the skill rather than on the completion of a project, though the instructor will provide a little assistance so that each student have a small finished piece by the end of the session. We'll glaze it and have it ready for pick-up within about 2 weeks. (This event can be scheduled at a cheaper rate if you just want to try it out but don't want to take finished pieces home.)
- Carve your own pumpkin! We'll provide a wheel-thrown pumpkin ready to be carved, just like a jack-o-lantern. This project is a little quicker than some others. It depends a little bit on the intricacy and ambition of your carving, but an hour is usually about enough time. We provide a really nicely made stoneware pumpkin, made in advance. Cost is $55 per pumpkin. Pumpkins could be shared by 2 people. You'll choose your glaze color, and we'll have them fired and ready to go home within about 2 weeks. Minimum of 4 pumpkins (so, 4-8 people, depending if they're sharing) for a private session. Note that cost for this session is per pumpkin rather than per student.
- Party ideas: Parties are usually a little more about socializing and having cake or a snack than they are just about doing a project, so this is what we recommend for this: 2 hours, including 2 quick projects. We've had success with having each participant make their own press-mold tray (like a change dish or jewelry tray) and then complete a second project that can be compiled into a keepsake for the guest of honor (birthday child, mom on Mother's Day, etc). For example, we've had kids each carve a round little face that we then assemble into a cute little "peas in a pod" piece. These are quick projects that still allow time for cake or a snack. Pieces are ready for pick-up about 2 weeks later. Suitable for ages 7 through adult. Younger kids can participate with an adult's help. $50 per participant, minimum of 4 participants.
- Interested in scheduling something? Get in touch well in advance. We have to check with instructors about availability and work around any previously-scheduled events. Payment in full will be required one week before the event is scheduled. We can invoice via Paypal.